Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A New Beginning [Part 2]

They made it to Coldstone Creamery. Carlie gawked over all the flavors of ice cream.

Safaree asked Nicki would she like anything but she said no. He walked over to Carlie and asked "What would you like sweetie?" She picked what she wanted and they went and sat down.

"So, Onika is it?" Safaree asked.

"People call me Nicki or Nic." she answered.

Carlie dug into her ice cream, not paying them any mind.

They made small talk until Nic questioned "What is it that you really want from me?"

"Huh? I don't want anything, Nicki. I'm really a nice person, I don't expect them type of things from women that I just met. I see the stress and worry on your face so I wanted to help at least make you smile. I'm not the typical black male." He said genuinely staring into her eyes.

Nicki was good at reading people through their eyes, she felt he was being sincere.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just..." she trailed off.

"It's okay, I can tell you're going through some things so I won't get in your business."

Nicki felt like an ass but she was taught not to be so trustworthy with men.

After they finished up there, Safaree walked them back to the car.

"Thank you for the ice cream." Carlie said happily to Safaree. "No problem." he said. Safaree helped Carlie into the car before walking back over to Nicki.

"Be careful guys."

"We will. Oh, you don't have to wait behind for us. We'll be okay."

"It's a habit. I can wait a few minutes."

Nicki knew he wasn't going to give up so she got in the car and planned on driving a couple blocks away.

"By the way, you're too beautiful to let the stress of life get to you and not flash that beautiful smile." Safaree walked away as Nicki sat there in a daze.

Carlie snapped her out of it. "I like him mommy." Nicki smirked and drove off.



Few days later the two were still in the routine of sleeping in the car and going to the gas station the next morning. Nicki had seen Safaree around the office a few times and they held short conversations. There was something about him that she liked but she didn't want to jump in a situation after just coming out of a bad one.

Nicki had to go to work but had no one to watch Carlie. Mrs. Jones had "other plans" as she describes them. Nic really didn't want to call off, she hasn't had the job long enough plus she NEEDED the money.

She sighed. "I guess I'm going to have to take you with me."

They pulled into the parking lot behind the building. "Cee, PLEASE stay in the car and don't let anyone in babe. I'm going to check on you as much as I can." She didn't really want to do this but she had to do what she had to do.

2 hours passed and Nicki had check on her daughter about 5 times.

Safaree was just coming back from a meeting when he looked and seen one figure in Nic's car. He walked over and seen a clearly bored Carlie twiddle her thumbs. He knocked on the window. Carlie smiled and waved.

"What are you doing in here?" he asked.

"Mommy didn't have anybody to watch me." she responded.

"There's no one at home?"

"We're homeless." Carlie accidentally let slip. Nicki told her not to tell anyone about their current situation.

Safaree eyes lit up. "Come with me."

"Mommy said not to get out."

"It's okay, I can take you to her." Safaree extended his hand while giving a sweet smile. They walked into the building. Safaree took her to the break room to get something to eat. He figured she must be hungry after sitting in a car for hours. The break room had a plasma television and mad game systems along with a computer.

"Stay right here, I'm going to get your mommy." Safaree walked to the front desk. "Hey Nicki, can you follow me?" "Sure" she said while smiling.

They went to the break room and Nicki's mouth dropped when she seen her daughter.

"You know, you really should be careful. You never know who could walk by." Safaree suggested.

"Oh, so you're telling me how to raise my child?" Nicki raised an eyebrow.

"No I didn't mean it like that, I was just saying. I'd hate for the wrong person to walk by." Nicki rolled her eyes. "Hey, she can stay here while you finish your shift. Okay? She told me about the babysitter situation."

Nicki was happy but also worried of what else Carlie might have said. "Th..thanks." she stuttered.

"I know I'm just a guy you barely know but I was wondering...it's a nice Friday..can I take you out tonight?"

"I don't know, I don't really have anyone to watch her later and-" Safaree cut her off "Don't worry. My sister runs a daycare. She's great with kids. I can have her keep Carlie with no problem."

Nicki did really like this guy, he seemed like a sweetheart. She was hesitant because she didn't like leaving her with just anybody but she agreed.

"Good, how does 7 sound? Where can I pick you up from?" Safaree asked, he knew of their living situation so he wanted to see what she said.

"Umm you can give me the address to the Daycare and we can meet up there." Nic replied.

"Sure." Safaree wrote the address down and Nicki gave him her number before he left back to his office. Nicki looked over at Carlie and was giving a thumbs up.

She chuckled. "You are too much, child. Be good for mommy, kay?" "Mhmm" Carlie managed to get out while stuffing chips down her throat. Nicki returned back to the front desk.

Safaree was in his office getting things set for tonight. He had great plans for Nicki.

This is Carlie btw. Isn't she adorable?

3 comments:

  1. Great chapter:)... Can't wait to see what happens . Post soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww she's a cute girl and I hope she doesn't get in trouble for telling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww! She is TOO CUTE! Ok, so Safaree knows now. >.<" This could be a good thing, right? Oh and he's sweet for letting her stay in the break room! Love where this is going.

    Amazing story. I love that you used a completely different plot. I love it. I love it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete